According to the Bronx District Attorney’s Office, five of the gang members were sentenced Friday by Bronx Supreme Court Justice Ralph Fabrizio for manslaughter.
A sixth gang member, Luis Cabrera Santos, also pleaded guilty and received his sentence earlier this week.
Danilo Payamps Pacheco, 26, Ronald Urena, 33, Jose Tavarez, 26, Danel Fernandez, 26, and Gabriel Ramirez Concepcion, 30, were all sentenced to varying prison times from 12-18 years.
The sentencing brings closure to a tragic incident that shocked the community and garnered national attention.
Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark said, “Our prosecution against all 13 defendants involved in the murder ends today. It brings closure in the criminal justice aspect but does not bring an end to the pain Junior’s family and friends still suffer. They will never recover from their immense loss, but we hope it brings some peace to the community in knowing that these defendants will be in prison for years.”
Related Story: Gang Members Unite To Write Book ‘Project Baby’
The incident occurred in June 2018, when a group of Trinitarios mistook Junior for a member of a rival gang and brutally attacked him in a bodega, dragging him out and stabbing him multiple times before he died.
“These six defendants, members of the Los Sures Trinitarios set, chased Lesandro ‘Junior’ Guzman-Feliz and dragged him out of Belmont bodega where he was stabbed by five other defendants,” said Clark.
The graphic video of the attack, which was captured by a surveillance camera, quickly went viral on social media and sparked outrage and calls for justice. Thousands of people started the movement “Justice for Junior,” and many paid respects at his funeral.
We hope that this is the beginning of justice being served for Junior and his family.