A Pennsylvania family is grieving the loss of their beloved ten-year-old relative after a TikTok challenge turned deadly.
ABC7 reported that Nylah Anderson attempted the deadly “Blackout Challenge” she saw on the social media platform. The young girl reportedly held her breath until she fainted. Nylah’s mom told the news outlet that her daughter was home with her family when the tragic accident occurred.
Her family tried to rush her to the hospital, but Nylah didn’t make it.
As Tawainna Anderson navigates her daughter’s death, she has a cautionary message for parents.
“Make sure you check your kids’ phones. You never know what you might find on their phones,” she said. “You wouldn’t think 10-year-olds would try this. They’re trying because they’re kids, and they don’t know better.”
Nylah, who her mom described as “happy and smart,” spoke three languages, did well in school and loved engaging on social media.
“She was a butterfly,” Anderson said. “She was everything. She was a happy child.”
A social worker at the hospital she was taken to– offered more insight into the devastating incident.
“She happened to be in her own bedroom of her house, with her family at home,” Licensed Clinical Social Worker Elizabeth Wood told ABC7. “But no one was in the bedroom with her when this happened, so there was no one there to save her.”
“I’m so hurt,” Nylah’s mom said. “This is a pain that won’t go away. It’s at the top of my throat. I am so hurt.”
A lack of oxygen can lead to cardiac arrest and other medical dangers such as significant organ damage, including brain damage, so the “Blackout Challenge” is hazardous.
In April, a 12-year-old boy also died after doing the challenge. Joshua Haileyesus passed away after being on life support for 19 days in Colorado. His twin brother discovered Joshua in the home’s bathroom unconscious.
Our prayers go out to Nylah and her family.